Yusuf Khan aka Dilip Kumar was born in British India which is now in Pakistan, and moved to Pune with his family when he was very young. It was not easy for Dilip Kumar to get the respect he has earned today, he struggle a lot to find a position for himself in the Industry. Yusuf Khan used to own a canteen and sell dry fruits when Devika Rani of Bombay Talkies met him in 1940. This meeting with Devika Rani changed ‘Tragedy King’s not only his name but also his life.
Most of the people of youngest generation know very little about Dilip Ji’s life, so let’s take a look at the inspiring life of Tragedy King more closely.
1. Dilip Kumar is the first Bollywood superstar who hailed from Pakistan.
2. Dilip Kumar’s real name is Mohammad Yusuf Khan. The name ‘Dilip Kumar ‘was given by Devika Rani.
3. Veteran actor Ashok Kumar mentored Dilip Kumar. Dilip Ji got his first break in 1944 through movie ’Jwar Bhata’ only on the recommendation of Ashok Kumar.
4. It was movie ‘Jugnu (1947) which gave Dilip Kumar his name and fame across India.
5. Later Dilip Kumar came to won 8 Filmfare awards out of 19 Filmfare nominations in his Film career.
6. The title of Tragedy King was given to him because of his lead roles in many tragic love stories movies like Nadiya Ke Paar, Anzdaz, Arzoo, Deedar, Devdas, Daag, etc.
7. Dilip Kumar’s first love interest was Kamini Kaushal, but Kamini’s brother was in the Army and was against their relationship so they had to part their ways.
8. Dilip and Vyjyantimala did six movies together and the rumors of their love affair were very strong at that time, but they always denied the affair rumors.
9. There was also a secret yet famous love story between Dilip Kumar and Madhubala, but their love story never reached to wedding knots because Madhubala’s family didn’t approve this relationship. Both were madly in love and Dilip Kumar went into depression when Madhubala left this world.
10. Dilip Kumar and actress Saira Banu fell in love and got married in 1966. At the time of marriage the age of Dilip Ji was 44 and Saira Ji was only 22.
11. Dilip Kumar got married second time to a Hyderabadi socialite Asma Sahiba in 1981.Unfortunatley, the marriage didn’t last long and they got divorced in 1983.
12. Dilip Kumar was awarded with Pakistan’s highest Civilian award Nishan-e-Imtiaz in 1998.