Aanchal Thakur From Manali Made History By Bringing Home India’s First Skiing Medal
4 years ago
1. Aanchal Thakur who hails from Manali made history on Tuesday by winning India’s first-ever international medal in skiing.
2. The 21-year-old bagged bronze in the coveted Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup at the Palandoken Ski Centre in Erzurum in Turkey.
3. “Months of training have finally borne fruit. I started well and managed to take a good lead, which helped later in getting the third-place finish,” Aanchal said from Turkey.
4. Her feat is extra ordinary given the lack of culture and infrastructure support for winter sports in India. In fact, winter sports get negligible support from the Union sports ministry.
5. Aanchal’s father, Roshan Lal Thakur is the secretary general of the Winter Games Federation of India (WGFI). Expressing his happiness he said it is dreams come true for any parent.